Sunday, September 23, 2012

Fantastic Story of Forgiveness


Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Jul 1, 2010 - 278 pages

I’ve heard bits and pieces of the story about the devil in pew number seven before, so I wondered whether it was worth reading all 289 pages recounting it. I’m so glad I did. Although I’ve heard bits of the story before I never had the whole picture or the background to the story. It was like reading a movie script that kept me glued to he pages. I would read late into the night, 3 a.m. or longer, read it in the bathroom or during any spare minute I had. Was it really that interesting? YES!

To anyone unfamiliar with the story: Rebecca, the author, has lived through quite the ordeal in her life. After her family moved into a small town they were terrorized and endlessly threatened to leave the town “walking or crawling, dead or alive.” Her father was the pastor and the changes he brought did not sit well with one of the town citizens. After years of bombings and drive by shootings words became a reality and both her parents were shot in front of the children’s eyes in their home.

Rebecca’s mother died within minutes, her father lived but was mentally tormented until he was sent to an early grave just a few years later. At the age of 14 Rebecca and her younger brother Daniel were orphans.

This is an amazing true story recounting the tragic events that occurred. What is more amazing is the story of forgiveness that is told. We all struggle to forgive sometimes for little things sometime for big things and bitterness becomes like a virus within us. Rebecca shows that no matter how heinous the crime has been against us we can, and should forgive. She sets an amazing example for what it means to forgive, the power that forgiveness has, and makes us all re-examine the bitterness we hold buried down inside.

An amazing story, that I recommend every read it for themselves! Thank you to Tyndale publishing for providing me with a copy of this book to be able to provide an honest review of the devil in pew number seven.

No comments:

Post a Comment